Why Child Support Orders Might Be Changed

Why Child Support Orders Might Be Changed
Why Child Support Orders Might Be Changed

Texas law generally requires noncustodial parents to pay child support to custodial parents. However, if a child spends more time with a noncustodial parent than the custodial parent, it may be necessary to modify an existing support order.

Payments Related to That Child Might Be Reduced or Eliminated

If your son or daughter spends the majority of his or her time at your house, it may be possible to pay less in support for that specific child. However, if you have other children who your former spouse or partner is caring for, you will likely be required to provide support for those additional children.

You May Have Little Choice But to Accept a Modification

Generally speaking, courts recognize that they have less control over who older children and teenagers spent time with. The older a child is, the more likely it becomes that he or she will run off or otherwise act in a defiant manner until a custody order is changed. Therefore, it may be necessary to either accept less in child support or make payments to your child’s other parent.

Support usually ends when children are emancipated

Individuals typically become legal adults when they turn 18. A child may also obtain emancipation from his or her parents at a younger age by getting married or joining the military. Typically, your child support obligation comes to an end at this point unless a court orders you to continue making payments.

Failing to comply with the terms of a child support order may result in jail time or other criminal penalties. However, you may be able to ask a judge to modify an existing order so that it better reflects the fact that your child spends most of his or her time in your home. Contact us today to speak to an attorney.